And this is my website. I started building it in 2005 and today you can browse over 1,000 pages of content spanning two decades of activity. As a software developer, artist, photographer, musician, collector, scientist, writer, and entrepreneur, this site grows steadily through a practice of "autodidocumenticism" with the basic idea that "life is art is content"!
Screenshot of an android app called Baby Care by 6677g.com - a game where you take care of various babies without any sort of points, goals, or strategies whatsoever. When you are done taking care of a baby, you then get to use drawing tools on the baby, with the option of a screen grab. Here you can see I thoroughly washed the baby, leaving soap lather intact (chose not to utilize the rinse tool) I then made my drawing onto the baby. Absurdity perfection.
12" x 16" oil on paper board. Very happy about this catch, the seller went down to $3 as i was eyeballing it, but I insisted his $5 price was a done deal. Excellent condition in a vintage quality frame. Has a solid "E Hansen" signature but not dated anywhere, likely from the mid 1940's. I am way into west-coast modernist painting and this appears to be an excellent example of his later work. Ejnar (Einar) Hansen is from Denmark, was a member of the "De Trotten" movement, and came to the US in 1914, eventually settling in Southern California. Please contact me if you know anything more about this painting!
In early 2013 I made this graphic using Google Docs drawing tools. I feel it is already buried deep within my site so I wanted to conjure it back to the fore. I called the drawing Art = Form + Content. It succinctly depicts my primary mode of art making, and is of course also a play on the somewhat dusty yin/yang aspects of modern art: form and content. We have a web form, which could be a customized form or default provided one. We enter some sort of human-content-action into the form, then we click the "Art" save button to complete the content art creation process.
That about sums it up. The resulting web content could be visually customized, but it doesn't need to be. It could be categorized, tagged, listed, etc, but it doesn't need to be. It could be considered "Art" but it doesn't need to be. It only needs to live on the web. This is your act, your creation. It probably has a title or id, and a date. It happened. It lives. And hopefully its existence on the web is a positive one, or at least neutral. If not then you'll just have to try clicking the Art button again.
Been a little quiet around here lately. My time has been split up between making new music with the band Narco States, working on a fairly intense Drupal website project (the day job), and traveling whenever possible. Here is something fun from a recent trip to Tennessee. Since I claim to be so busy, I will just copy/paste the comment I posted at the bottom of my latest point page. Click either of the above images or click here to see what I am talking about! ...
Earthquake The Ride and Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride are in the Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge Tennesse area and both are owned by the same company. As you can see they employ mannequins to simulate audience interest in their amusement offerings, duping passerby in a very competitive area. Growing up in Florida, I am interested in weird, shameless tourism tactics. And this is surely a first! Never have I seen such brash capitalistic awesomeness. We asked a bartender at an adjacent TGI Fridays restaurant, who told us a few years ago this company had terribly lagging sales so in desperation they tried adding these customer decoys and they worked! I believe the Earthquake ride was first and then Jungle Ride came second. From what we could tell no other companies had yet copied their tactic. But they soon will... believe me when I say this is the future of tourism. This sort of thing is actually commonplace on the Internet, but it's spilling over into real life.
Some of the photos were shot by me and my family, while others were found on the Internet. Based on some of the older photos I found, it appears that on the Jurassic Jungle Ride they later changed the attire of some of the decoys to make them look more theme-oriented. This was probably due to backlash at customers realizing they were fooled. I suppose adding a safari outfit and hat does the trick rather nicely, blurring the boundaries of manipulation and amusement.
If the meanderings of my work hasn't confused you enough yet, then here is something different. In a recent project I assembled and released the very first free open source topographic maps of the entire 2000+ mile Appalachian Trail (AT). Every Winter tens of thousands of folks (maybe even hundreds of thousands) are preparing/desiring some sort of AT thru-hike or section hike. (I myself am addicted to 100-200 mile section hike trips) In my mind the Appalachian Trial is one of the best things this f***ed up country has. And the more time we as a society spend on computers and networks, the more relevant and important backcountry experiences become. But I'll step off the soapbox because most of you probably wouldn't want to spend weeks or months all dirty and sweaty, constantly hungry and achy in a beautiful "green tunnel" with the bugs and snakes.
Sorry but de-romanticized statements like that are for your own safety. And so are my free Android maps. Two years ago I posted instructions here at the WhiteBlaze.net forums on how to make your own free smartphone backpacking maps. The post has received nearly 10,000 hits, but unfortunately those instructions no longer work. All the topographic map sources which were once freely available to Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC) have been yanked. Mapping services have matured to a point where the free ride is over as data pushers pay attention to the dollar signs. Luckily I found an alternative map tile source... OpenStreetMap (OSM) to the rescue! An amazing organization. However they too have bills to pay and don't allow map tile downloads via map making software such as MOBAC due to server/bandwidth costs. (Keep in mind that maps *must* be fully downloaded in advance of your backcountry trip and used offline due to network and battery constraints) Luckily I found an alternative OSM tile hosting source... Stamen Design to the rescue! This heavy-duty, San Francisco based visualization agency hosts OSM tiles, and they generously gave me permission to use their server to assemble and release these Appalachian Trail maps.
Traditionally an AT thru-hiker would spend $100-$200 on paper maps. So many maps are too heavy to carry all at once, and must be strategically snail-mailed to various post offices along the trail. Many of those paper maps, in my opinion, look so "1990's desktop PC". (not that there's anything wrong with that aesthetic!) Nowadays you can also purchase an iPhone or Android app that has topo offline maps of the trail. Costs for those are typically $30-$60, which compared to paper seems fair, but then again is it? Not in my mind, and I didn't spend a bunch of money testing them because I found OruxMaps. This Android app is free (donations welcomed) and is of great quality. I have field-tested OruxMaps for hundreds of mountain trail miles without a single crash or issue. So I chose the OruxMaps format when I compiled the maps.
Something I learned this time around is that OruxMaps is a "dead end" data format - one cannot convert maps from OruxMaps to a different format, yet one *can* easily convert from a more standardized format to OruxMaps plus many others. Perhaps next year I will try to make better maps, in a more open data format so folks can choose their own platform/app. Though I am a software professional with thousands of trail miles under my feet, I am just a map-making amateur. I am learning as I go along, step by step, just like when I am hiking. (oooh that was cheesy) I hope more folks start creating and sharing open source offline maps, as I see them as an integral part of taking breaks and finding adventure off the grid. Sounds weird but yes I am advocating the use of the Internet to help us get away from the Internet!
Hey if you happen to live in the Twin Cities of Minnesota then please let me invite you to a show this Friday Jan 24 at the Nomad World Pub. Details in the flyer poster thing here that our singer Mike made. We (Narco States) are going on at 11 or 11:30pm. I play drums. Canopus Drums! I recorded a vinyl EP record with the band and this is the show to support that effort. To get an idea of it we got a nice writeup on the record recently here. More about the Narco States debut EP coming soon. I recently added a project page for the band website which I built. Should be fun. Live Acid Rock... this is what I secretly live for.
This is the end of my front page :)
- vines and clovers in el cerrito, late winter Mar-10-2014
- the bushman is dead. long live the bushman, even though i yelled at him when he bushed me good. i didn't give... Feb-27-2014
- got a flappy bird silver medal on my first day (23 pipes) Feb-08-2014
- close but yes cigar Feb-04-2014
- Brainerd Number 7 (readymade) Jan-24-2014
- color t-shirt .. the myth of freedom Jan-20-2014
- quiet around here lately .. been busy building brand new drupal website .. not art but content art Jan-20-2014
- font awesome is... Jan-07-2014
- found photo of cooks floating in the wind Jan-02-2014
- beauty trumps theory .. beauty trumps process .. at least in theory .. in process .. in practice the theory is... Dec-27-2013
- elf ate my teriyaki chickens Dec-26-2013
- gluttony selfie Dec-16-2013
- berkeley fishing berkeley picking Dec-02-2013
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN ALL CAPS! LOVE STEVE Nov-14-2013
- Baby Care App Drawing Nov-14-2013
- unpacking (again) Oct-07-2013
- just submitted a US patent for a 3-D printed butthole Oct-04-2013
- if you try to do something meaningful in your life, you may go bankrupt .. therefore banks may not be meaningful Oct-03-2013
- view above the city of el cerrito, early fall Oct-02-2013
- Found a lovely Ejnar Hansen painting for $5 at a norcal flea market Sep-22-2013
- its been a while since you listened to SONIC YOUTH. Play now? (This is what the machine is asking me) Yes, I say... Sep-17-2013
- stevenre dot sh dot bomb ... dot chrrry pie network scam+gold is a trend this fall. RIGHT and backwards this ring... Sep-15-2013
- web content relationships .. just another form of collage Sep-10-2013
- steve or steven read likes football Sep-06-2013
- sunrise in reno / yosemite fire haze Sep-02-2013
- death of pop art Aug-22-2013
- my light gray baywatch t-shirt is extremely sweaty right now Aug-21-2013
- pay extra for higher quality .. put the accountants out of business Aug-13-2013
- serving up fresh raw material is central to my website practice going back to the 1990s .. unfortunately there are... Aug-12-2013
- to deny variation in creativity is to deny the rhythm of life .. creative industries only allow for a slight,... Aug-09-2013
- living in the past .. but a past that was good .. bitter for better or worse for less .. just trade it in Aug-07-2013
- how many times do i gotta say it? OWN YOUR OWN DATA Aug-01-2013
- Blue Red And Grey Jul-29-2013
- Introducing the new Samsung-Kindle-Nook Super-Smart-Ass-Tablet-Reader Jul-29-2013
- to sort ascending or descending .. that is the question Jul-23-2013
- "Man's Idea For Tweet Just Pops Into His Mind Almost Fully Formed" -The Onion Jul-23-2013
- 13th Floor Elevator Jul-17-2013
- inches from death, totaled car, bloodied and bruised, shaken, epic storm, black out, super moon, summer solstice,... Jul-10-2013
- back in new york city (photo crops) Jul-07-2013
- its not so easy,, to ROCK WORLDWIDE Jul-04-2013
- smoky trout breath Jun-27-2013
- P-3 Jun-21-2013
- just did a factory reset on my htc evo 4g .. gonna sell it .. have a new samsung galaxy s4 phone which isn't... Jun-12-2013
- media don't need theory media don't want theory media is media is beans. medias dare you to doubt this... Jun-11-2013
- (1) live spectacularly. (2) document. (3) remix spectacularly. (the zappa recipe) Jun-07-2013
- frankenstein dancing to bill evans through a magnifying glass in the window Jun-04-2013
- is it so wrong to want a triple shot coffee? people too hip for the number 3? not a double. not a quad. a triple... Jun-03-2013
- last set of photos from my now retired htc evo 4g :( May-21-2013
- yahoo is lame so glad i never bothered to create a tumblr. i knew they wouldn't treat my content art with the... May-20-2013
- demonstration of this May-18-2013